Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Top ten questions for publishers



1. Why does it take so long (6 months to a year) for a regular person to get a book published, but a famous person or a politician can have theirs published within just a few months?

2. What kind of an advance can I expect when a publisher signs me?

3. Why do publishers usually want authors to sign a two-book contract?

4. Isn't it always a good thing to be a New York Times bestseller?

5. If the trend is vampires, does that mean I should write a vampire book in order to be published?

6. What do publishers usually think is the least attractive quality in a writer?

7. What's the biggest mistake a writer can make after signing with a publisher?

8. Why should I give up my ebook rights if I sign with a publisher?

9.Why publish with a publisher when I can use a print-on-demand service or a vanity press?

10. Why is it so hard to make money as an author?

Your questions will be answered every Thursday, starting November 4, 2010. We'll choose questions at random. This Thursday, we may answer some of the questions above, and we may answer some of yours. Send your questions to publishing247@gmail.com, and don't forget to come back on Thursday for some answers.

- Lyla P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask us. (Or tell us.)